What isn’t pesto good in? It’s a sauce that turns any dish into kitchen gold, especially this totally comforting and delicious gnocchi and chicken bake. For the perfect pesto touch, stir a dollop into the tomato mixture to coat everything, then dollop the top with more right out of the oven for a fresh finish.
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb. total)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 c. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 c. dry white wine
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 (17-oz.) package refrigerated or shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1/2 c. homemade or store-bought pesto, divided
- 6 oz. mozzarella, torn (optional)
- Torn fresh basil leaves and lightly toasted pine nuts, for serving
- Step 1Preheat oven to 425º. Season chicken on both sides with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2In same skillet over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and wine and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits on bottom of pan, until wine is mostly evaporated and tomatoes are just starting to wilt, about 2 minutes. Pour in broth and and cream and bring to a boil. Stir in gnocchi and nestle chicken back into pan.
- Step 3Bake until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165°, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board.
- Step 4Stir 2 tablespoons pesto into skillet. Top with mozzarella (if using). Continue to bake until pesto is warmed through and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes more. Let cool slightly.
- Step 5Thinly slice chicken and return to skillet. Dollop top of bake with remaining 6 tablespoons pesto. Sprinkle with basil and pine nuts.